In 1938, when the fire department reported at 11 a.m. on November 10th that the Leopoldstädter Tempel was “completely burned out,” an even more terrible event took place. However, the left wing was spared again and today houses a Jewish school and a ritual bath (mikvah).
The Jewish Museum Vienna acquired this textile for its collection in 2000. Such purchases are very rare. In this way, however, Viennese Jewish history or the museum’s collection can be reconstructed.
Named after its address on Grosse Schiffgasse, the so-called Schiffschul was the center of Jewish Orthodoxy in Vienna from 1864 to 1938, which at times also stood in opposition to the Jewish Community of Vienna. The premises called “Schiffschul” consisted of two buildings, one of which was used as an administration building and not destroyed in November 1938.